Monday, November 24, 2008

The Story of the Past Four Days

First of all, I'm sorry that I scared you, Jen and Michal! I didn't realize I would do that!

Here's what happened:

Monday night I found out that I was pregnant.

Tuesday I started to feel thirstier than usual.

Wednesday I felt even thirstier, so thirsty that I could have drained a lake and still been thirsty. My fingers and lips were tingling.

Having had gestational diabetes with my other kids, I knew I needed to test. I went to Walmart Wednesday night and got a monitor.

I tested my blood sugar and it was very high. That was surprising because I eat extremely healthy, mostly veggies and some fruit. No sugar, no white flour.

I was up until 3:30 am, worried and searching on the internet for info. I didn't want to go to sleep and risk my sugar level going so high that I passed out, so I waited until it went down some. That plus my hands were tingling so badly that I couldn't sleep.

I called my OBGYN early Thursday, and they had me come down right away and put me in the hospital. I was on an insulin drip to stabilize me until Saturday evening, then put on insulin injections. That wasn't a big deal since I had been on insulin when I was pregnant the last time.

That's the story. It turns out that I actually have diabetes and have for at least the past 3 months, but didn't know it until the pregnancy hormones made me feel the effects. It also explains why I've only lost 5 pounds in the last month and a half despite eating the extremely healthy diet I have been. High blood glucose makes it very difficult to lose weight.

At this point we don't know if the baby will survive. My HCG levels are fine, and the chances are good since we caught it so early. I was only 4 weeks when I went into the hospital. The bad thing is that my progesterone level has dropped some, and if it drops too low it causes miscarriage. My doctor is monitoring my levels and will supplement me if it goes too low.

Uncontrolled diabetes is very dangerous to unborn babies. The most critical time is the first trimester. If it's not caught, it can cause miscarriage or birth defects. We caught it so early, before much of anything has developed, that the chances are good.

I'm putting my faith in the Lord. All I can do is take the best care of myself that I can, and trust in Heavenly Father. I know that whichever way the next few weeks go is according to his will.

I'm feeling better now, and I'm so thankful for my sister and her husband. They took care of our children when James was at work. Scott got me books to read from the library to take to the hospital, and Karen sent dvds with me. Scott even took the boys to the arcade that first day. It means SO much to me and I love them immensely. Karen was getting a yucky sickness but still took care of my children in addition to her fussy, getting sick, 7 month old baby.

My mother talked to me every day in the hospital, several times. She calmed me down when necessary, and listened to me ramble on about everything. I talked to my dad a couple of times as well, and feeling his strength and love helped me handle missing my family.

It was hard being away from James. He is my rock. We spoke on the phone every night as he struggled to stay awake. I'm so happy to be home with him.

I'm so thankful for the ladies in church who have brought dinner to my family while I have been gone. They're bringing it through tomorrow, even though I said it wasn't completely necessary. Through this time of adjustment, and not knowing if the baby will be ok, the extra love and support is so welcome.

I go to have more bloodwork done tomorrow. Right now I need to go to a pharmacy to have my prescriptions filled, so I'll sign off.

But before I do, I have to tell you that I missed you all. I thought of you often as I sat in my hospital room. I wished I could read your posts and laugh, cry, smile, or completely identify with you as I always do.

Any prayers you can send our way would be so greatly appreciated!


Jeni said...

I am relieved now to be in the know. Thank you. I wish there were something I could do for you. I'm sorry about everything you're going through. I will pray that everything goes smoothly from here on out.

Michal said...

you and your baby are in my prayers. i'm glad that they figured out what was wrong--how scary that must have been.

Karen said...

We were glad to help! And we're glad you are back too!

Kimberly said...

I'm tearing up like mad here, honey. Oh how scary for you, and how scary it still is. Praying for you like crazy. Early in or not, it's still hard to contemplate. ~hugs~

Steph @ Diapers and Divinity said...

You have my prayers and very best wishes. What a frightful combination of pregnancy and your own health issues. God's so much better at surprises than we are. Please do keep us posted.

mommyofthree said...

You and the little baby are in my prayers. That is scary, I've been in the monitoring progesterone and hormone position before and it is not fun. I guess God always knows what he's doing, though. Hang in there.
(The Queen on the Healthy Habits blog)

Jen said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for you & the baby.

mindyluwho said...

I'm so sorry that it has happened, but thankful that you were able to find out about having diabetes early enough to still have a chance. I will say my prayers for you and your family.

Nancy Face said...

I'm sorry all these scary health issues came upon you so suddenly! I'm so glad you received good care and that the baby has a good chance of being okay. I will pray for you! (((((HUGS)))))